TCI has an immediate need for an Applications Trainer in Washington, D.C. This is not a Corp2Corp opportunity. This is a 3-6 month contract opportunity to provide medical leave coverage.
Please note that this position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence.
Our Client is a Top 10 Global legal services provider with international credentials which makes them a major force in the global legal marketplace. Formed by the combination of two firms – one based in the US and the other based in Europe, our client’s fundamental values include Clients come first, Excellence in all we do, One team worldwide, Commitment to our firm’s success and Good citizenship.
The Corporate Trainer, based in the Washington, D.C. office and under the direction of the Training and Implementation Support Manager, shall ensure that lawyers and business services employees receive superior training in the use of commercial and custom applications software.
The Application Trainer’s goal is to ensure that lawyers and business services employees not only master necessary software features, but can successfully apply them to work situations according to best practices and with the aim of achieving the highest possible levels of personal and team productivity. The successful Trainer will view his/her role as a mix of educator, instructor, best practices and productivity coach, skills assessor, and training material designer. Although based in Washington, the trainer will have responsibility for training in other offices on an as-needed basis, through either occasional in-person visits or regular remote/distance learning events.
- Deliver instruction/training in the use of software applications utilized by company personnel. Instruction may include in-classroom, web or video conference sessions, or special desk-side training/support.
- Creation or preparation of reference guides and slideshow/video/animations.
- Work with development and/or business process teams to adequately understand how the software supports the business and incorporate business process information into instruction.
- Plan, design, develop and maintain class training materials, quick reference guides, full end user documentation, FAQ, online learning materials and additional instructional or informative documents as needed.
- Assist in developing and maintaining training curricula, course descriptions, class schedules, evaluation criteria, learning paths, and attendance records using the company learning management system.
- Work with the Human Resources Department, Office Administrators, and department heads to plan and adapt training to specific needs.
- Promote best practices among various end user communities through outreach, communication, and direct assistance.
- Conduct floor support exercises involving scheduled presence in work areas to provide desk-side training and coaching.
- Assume other duties as may be assigned from time to time by your supervisor
- 3+ years of experience providing software applications training in a corporate or law firm environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
- Extensive and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), OneNote, iManage 8.x or Open Text document management system, Internet Explorer 8+, Windows 7, and SharePoint (from an end user perspective).
- Experience with legal-specific Office extensions such as Best Authority, Payne Numbering Assistant, or MacPac for Legal is strongly preferred.
- Strong ability to quickly grasp new concepts and applications.
- Experience training end users on commercial software commonly used in large law firms such as InterAction, HotDocs, Deal Proof, Nuance PDF Enterprise, Litera Pro, iScrub or Metadata Assistant, LexisNexis for Microsoft Office, or Westkm – will be considered a plus.
- Prior use of a learning management system to establish learning paths, administer classes, and track and record attendance is preferred. Experience with UniversitySite is a definite plus.
- Experience creating training videos, animations, or online materials using Adobe Captivate, SnagIt, or Camtasia is preferred. The candidate must be willing and able to create training materials as well as conduct training classes.
- Superior public speaking and personal interaction skills are essential. The candidate must be able to communicate clearly, professionally, and comfortably with lawyers and business services employees alike.
- Must be able to educate and motivate, as well as train. The candidate must be able to relate software features to customers’ work environment, tasks, and objectives in an effective manner that leads to improved quality and productivity.
- Problem-solving and analytical abilities are important. The candidate must be able to work with customers to apply software to specific task needs, and to find innovative short cuts or work-arounds for new or complex scenarios.
- Experience creating Word templates and macros will be considered an advantage.
- This position also requires excellent organizational abilities and commitment to continued learning. Candidate should have a solid understanding and proven experience in planning training courses and developing materials tailored to education/training/work objectives; researching best practices; continuously improving presentation abilities and use of technology for training; and developing writing styles and skills.
- Microsoft certification for Office 2010 at the expert (Word, Excel) or master level will be considered a significant plus.
- Occasional travel to US offices to conduct training can be expected, including one day trips to Philadelphia and one-to-two day trips to other East Coast offices. During large-scale software deployments, travel of up to five (5) or more business days may be required. Overall travel is generally less than 10% of work days per year, but may exceed that depending on software deployment plans.